glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1 make check (mtrace) error

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Jun 13 11:41:54 PDT 2004

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004, Brian Willkie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to compile Glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1 for chapter 6 of
> LFS 5.1. Everything seems to go well until
>
> root:make check
>
> when I get an error:
>
> /bin/sh: line 1: /sources/glibc-build/malloc/mtrace: No such
> file or directory
>
> There are a couple of messages in the archives with similar
> problems but no authoritative solutions. A google search of
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ and the lfs wiki also
> turned up nothing for me.

 I can remember having a related problem (on lfs-dev, I think) earlier
this year, and certainly replying to at least one person on -support.
I know that search.linuxfromscratch.org has become good at hiding the
important results in the noise, but persevere with it!

> I have the following questions:
>
> what is mtrace?
> is mtrace suppose to be a perl file or c/c++ file?
> if it's suppose to be a perl script:
>     why does make check look for mtrace instead of
> mtrace.pl?
>     why does make create mtrace.o for a perl file?

 Don't know, don't care ;-)

> whatever mtrace is suppose to be,
>     why is it not installed?

 Your perl installation is fubar'd.  The glibc configure script almost
certainly detected that perl is present but doesn't work, but has never
allowed for that and blindly carries on.  If you want to try fixing
that, expect massive scorn from the glibc developers for trying to
support a broken host.

 A common reason for the breakage (for those of us who script our
builds) is upgrading the version of perl in the script, but not
upgrading the hard-coded directories (e.g. building 5.8.4 but copying
files to 5.8.3).  Probably a typo in the cp command when installing the
minimal perl in chapter 5 can have the same effect.

 If you _really_ care about mtrace.pl and mtrace.c, read the code to see
what it is doing.  I imagine mtrace.pl is supposed to create mtrace.c
which can then be compiled, but I've never been sufficiently interested
to look at this detail.

Ken