Compileing The Kernel

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Sun Jun 13 10:05:14 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aron Reid" <Aron-J-Reid at Rogers.com>
To: "LFS Support List" <lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2004 6:50 PM
Subject: Compileing The Kernel

> Hello everyone, I was just curious, when you finally get around to
compiling
> the kernel in the LFS book (Pg. 170 I believe, and this maybe a stupid
> questions) however will it be compliant with all x86 systems using the
i386
> architecture?  I have used several Linux operating systems that had
problems
> with older technology such as P1/MMX and embedded platforms such as the
AMD
> Geode / Media GX systems.  Also some embedded Linux RTOS's that I have
used
> had this same issue and I just wanted to ensure that this build would be
> fine with older systems, or if there is a switch to optimize the code for
> this systems (or perhaps it does it automatically?).  I do apologize since
> am not very knowledgeable in Linux, I assume since I have gotten Linux to
> work on both the MMX and Geode processors that it should work, however I
> just wanted to ensure that simply running the commands in this book will
> work for all x86 platforms (I'm not trying to compile for anything else
such
> as 64bit or the other elaborate archs in the kernel)

We use derivated LFS build on IPCop and it is compilated with march=i386 (or
alpha)
Running is verified  on 486 and even some of them use it on those very old
machines.
Do not hope routing an ADSL connection with an USB modem but it may be
enough for ethernet modem.
It should run on 386 but it will be slow (and difficult to statisfy mininal
hardware requirement).
Very minimal memory should be near 16MB (not verified) but with 24MB it
should be better.