GRUB

Andrew Sharp andrew.sharp3 at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 9 15:10:04 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 02 June 2004 02:41, sarahtf wrote:
> I am working through chapter 6 and am up to the Grub install. I have a
> dual boot win98 and rh9 system currently. Should I actually install Grub
> on my LFS system or just add an option for LFS to my existing rh9 Grub
> once LFS is ready to roll?
>
> I am planning on keeping rh9 around at least for awhile. Win98 I am
> stuck with due to an app I can't get to run under Wine yet.
>
> Sarah Fish
> Saratoga Springs, NY
You can install grub anyway and make the diskette just in case. Grub takes
some getting used to but should come out just as a text file just like lilo,
so practise configuring the LFS system using your host system first. At least
you will be familiar with the start-up screen. I use SuSE and have XP, SuSE
(as default) , Mandrake, and two BLFS systems (the next bit) as wel as the
safety and floppy options.

Check out your /boot/grub/menu.lst file and you'll see waht to expect

This is a sample of my grub file:

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Mon Jun  7 16:09:58 2004

color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
gfxmenu (hd0,2)/message
timeout 8

title SuSE
    kernel (hd0,2)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=0x317  hdc=ide-scsi hdclun=0
splash=silent showopts
    initrd (hd0,2)/initrd

title lfs-5.0
    root (hd0,6)
    kernel /boot/lfskernel root=/dev/hda7 ro

title blfs
    root (hd0,8)
    kernel /boot/lfskernel root=/dev/hda9 ro

title Mandrake
    root (hd0,9)
    kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda10
    initrd /initrd

title windows
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

Above (hd0,9) refers to the first hard disk partition 10 in the /mnt/fstab
file. Notice we mount the lfs stages ro, but they should be read/write when
you boot them!

Andrew