Installing glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1 error

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Wed Jun 9 12:50:47 PDT 2004

Rumor has it that Chris Lingard may have mentioned these words:
>Roger Merchberger wrote:
>
> > Rumor has it that Chris Lingard may have mentioned these words:
> >
> >>Can you run a little test
> >>
> >>Set up a dummy test program  echo "main(){}">foo.c
> >>
> >>Then compile it
> >>
> >>gcc -c foo.c  -o  foo.o
> >
> > Do I have to do this in "normal space" or under the tools chroot?
> >
> > (My LFS4 install builds stuff just fine... that's why I'm asking)
>
>In the chroot environment; I cannot see a -S, so grasping straws, perhaps
>gcc is a bit broken.  It would prove that the multiple flags work.

Well:
gcc -c foo.c -o foo.o
gcc -S foo.c -o foo.s
gcc foo.c -o foo.out

all work, and this is what I get:

bash-2.05b# ls -lAF|grep foo
-rw-r--r--   1 root root     9 Jun  9 19:24 foo.c
-rw-r--r--   1 root root   660 Jun  9 19:39 foo.o
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 12035 Jun  9 19:49 foo.out*
-rw-r--r--   1 root root   254 Jun  9 19:49 foo.s

Now, the weird thing is this only works in the / of the chroot environment
-- if, say, I cd /root, then most things break. I dunno if this is normal
or not; or if it might be the source of my problems...

Thanks!
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | "Profile, don't speculate."
sysadmin, Iceberg Computers |     Daniel J. Bernstein