Installing glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1 error

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Jun 9 10:41:20 PDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Roger Merchberger wrote:

> [[ snipped from web archive post by Ken Moffat ]]
>
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Anders Lingfors wrote:
>
>  > When trying to install glibc-2.3.3 (LFS 5.1.1, chapter 5), I get the
> following error:
>
> [snip] -- then Ken replied:
>
>   I don't have any idea what is wrong, but looking at a handy i686 log
> shows that mine didn't have the -fPIC, nor the -DPIC -DSHARED that you
> have.  More worryingly, my output went into m_isinf.o and the final
> file referenced on my system was m_isinf.o.dt

[snip]

>   Any chance you can attach the config.log (bzip2'd or gzipped) ?  If
> it's excessively big, send it to me privately and I'll diff it against
> my log from configuring / building / installing to see if I can see
> anything (may take a little while, there will be spurious differences
> e.g between i586 and i686).
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
> If you need more info on this problem, I had errors compiling that section,
> as well.
>
> The config.log can be found on the web (in its entirety -- 33K or so) at:
>
> http://www.30below.com/~zmerch/config.log
>
> If you need more info, testing, whatever, please feel free to ask!
>
> Thanks!
> Roger "Merch" Merchberger

 The only thing I can see in yours is right at the top, where it's
checking the sysdep dirs.  I've got a _lot_ more directories showing,
and in particular several linuxthreads directories (that was doing a
visual search/comparison for 'result', I'd forgotten my log would not
have all the detail of the tests).  Are you using the genuine
glibc-2.3.3-lfs-5.1 version of libc ?

 I'm basically none the wiser as to what the problem is, unless the
configure switch to enable linuxthreads wasn't there (but it usually
moans if you do that).

Ken