boot scripts

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Tue Jun 8 20:23:17 PDT 2004

michael wrote:
> Comparing slackware and LFS ,one cannot but  notice that the changing of
> permissions on scripts to make them run at boot (making them
> executable,that is) is much easier than inserting all those symlinks
> into the various rcx.d .Why is this method favoured on LFS?

Firstly, all scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d are executable. They have to be
in order to run. Secondly, all the symlinks are placed in directories
corresponding to the runlevel number because that's how Sysvinit works.
I'm unfamiliar with Slackware's boot process but if they don't have to
do it like the way we do then the probably aren't using Sysvinit.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182