Problems with updates?

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Jun 4 16:03:06 PDT 2004

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004, [iso-8859-1] Salvador Gironès wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to create a linux distribution based in "linux from scratch", and
> I asked about this way and some people told me that I could have some
> problems with the maintenance of the components (updates, etc).
> For example, they told me that if I update Glibc, programs that use glibc
> could not work correctly.
> Sorry for my english and my basic explanation, but i don't know exactly what
> kinds of problems could happen.
> I would like to know if I will have some problems to update mi LFS.
>
> Thanks!

 If this is only for your own use, leave a free partition on your disk
for your next LFS (and make /home a separate partition).  If you want
/opt or /usr/local to have their own partitions, duplicate them.  Then,
when you are ready to upgrade glibc, build a new LFS.

 If you are creating a distribution for other people to use, you need
some sort of package management, and you'll need at least one test
machine to test the upgrades on.  Yes, upgrading glibc might break
things. Upgrading some of the BLFS packages can also break other BLFS
packages, but all you lose is some functionality.

Ken