Make_devices: "bad interpreter"!?

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Jun 1 14:57:37 PDT 2004

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Ryan Julian wrote:

> everything I have done on my LFS system has gone smoothly so far.
> Today, I tried to execute the make_devices script and I recieved the
> following message:
>
> root:/dev# ./make_devices
> bash: ./make_devices: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
>
> does anybody know what is causing this?
> Thanks in advance!

 Among the favourites -

Missing the /bin/sh symlink(s) - /bin/sh to /bin/bash, /bin/bash to
/tools/bin/bash, or however the book does it these days.  Easy-Peasy.

screwing up in chapter 5 - if the symlinks are there, in a session
outside chroot run `ldd /mnt/lfs/bin/bash' to find what it links
against.  Anything in /tools should be ok when you enter chroot,
anything else will not be.  If you adjusted the toolchain correctly,
this shouldn't happed - unless, perhaps, you built chapter 5 in stages
and managed to lose something (e.g. $PATH) for some of the packages.
Tends to be nasty, and poorly understood.

 My personal favourite for this is getting the /tools symlink on the
host wrong (on one occasion I had it pointing to /mnt/lfs itself).
Fortunately, that one is easy to fix.

Ken