/dev/pts numbering

Durk van Veen nospamplz at example.com
Tue Jun 1 10:30:06 PDT 2004

I have several LFS boxes all based on the 5.0 book. I've noticed that the
two machines which run X (and start in runlevel 5) always have very low node
numbers when you log in in terms of /dev/pts. Just now I logged into one of
these machines and I'm the only user. I was assigned /dev/pts/1.

However, on the third box which is a server (no X, runlevel 3, not sure that
that's relevant) the pts node number seems to always increase. I'm not sure
what happens between reboots, but this box has been up for a little over a
month and I'm now on /dev/pts/34. This is the only file in /dev/pts as I'm
the only user logged in.

What would explain the difference in behavior between these machines? I
guess I'd prefer it if a user is assigned the lowest possible pts number
instead of this linearly increasing one, but I have no idea what I did to
cause this behavior in the first place.

Durk