binutils won't install

Gedi ged.suse at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 27 13:20:15 PDT 2004

Hi all,

This is my first attempt at building LFS and I seem to have fell at the first
hurdle.
I'm using the current stable version (5.1.1) and everything had been going
fine and I understood everything so far.

I'm now into ch5 and ready to start the build of the temp system.

I have binutils 2.14 and ./configure and make went according to plan using all
arguments and it produces no errors.
I now come to 'make install' and I am getting an error. Here is the last part
of my screen dump:
<snip>
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/lfs-packages/binutils-build/intl'
make[1]: Entering directory
`/mnt/lfs/sources/lfs-packages/binutils-build/libiberty'
make[2]: Entering directory
`/mnt/lfs/sources/lfs-packages/binutils-build/libiberty/testsuite'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/lfs/sources/lfs-packages/binutils-build/libiberty/testsuite'
/bin/sh ../../binutils-2.14/libiberty/../mkinstalldirs /tools/lib
mkdir /tools/lib
make[1]: *** [install_to_libdir] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/lfs/sources/lfs-packages/binutils-build/libiberty'
make: *** [install-libiberty] Error 2
lfs at phesphorone:/mnt/lfs/sources/lfs-packages/binutils-build>

Is this anything to do with permissions?
I have been back through the book a few times to make sure I haven't missed
anything.
Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Ged.