Network is unreachable

H. Wiese 7.e.Q at syncro-community.de
Wed Jul 21 07:01:00 PDT 2004

> I have finished reading the book, and I followed all
> the instruction from the book...everything is ok but
> when I boot I get this error:
> Bringing up the eth0 interface...
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Device or resource busy       [   OK   ]
> Setting up default gateway...
> SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable             [ Failed
> ]

Did you choose the right network device drivers while configuring the
kernel? has your kernel module autoload support? Is your
/etc/modprobe.conf correct?

Try inserting the module for your eth device manually by doing:

modprobe eth0

if modprobe tells you any kind of error the modprobe.conf seems to be
wrong.

Check if the kernel can find the right modprobe by looking into the file
/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe

If it's wrong, either insert the correct one into that file:

echo "where-your-modprobe-is" > /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe

or move your modprobe from its position to where .../kernel/modprobe tells
you.

The last one was an error I recently had to deal with...

Hendrik