Question about "configuring the network script" in chapter7

Christos Gioran himicos at freemail.gr
Sat Jul 17 12:10:15 PDT 2004

On Saturday 17 July 2004 17:23, noname wrote:
> Hi
> I have not network card in my LFS Pc yet, but i want to put one in later.
> So my question is:
> In Chapter 7 in the sektion about configuring network scripts,
> the first sentence is that i have to remove all network links in the
> "/etc/rc.d/rc*.d".
> My question is:
> Shoult i not remove these links and create the following scipts, even if my
> network card is not in my pc yet ?
> Or, should i remove these links, and skip the creating of network scripts
> in this sektion,
> and later if i have the network card in the pc recreate the network links
> and create the scripts ?

Hi,

as long as you don't have the network scripts in /etc/rc.d/rc?.d, network will
not be activated at boot time (to be more specific, when changing to a
runlevel of which the corresponding rc dir does not contain the symlink).
Other than that, you can have all the info in place (IP's, gateways,
whatever). When you install your card (that is, when you bring up an
interface that has a corresponding section in your network scripts), just
symlink the thing in your favorite runlevel.

To sum up, it doesn't hurt to have the info in place beforehand, as long as
you do not run the network script with a NIC missing (i think it won't hurt
if you do though, you should just get a message of unknown device)

Also, the FAQ:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html#eth0-unknown-interface

is of some relevance.

Hope that helps...(and is correct)