Chapter 8 making LFS bootable with grub

Pascal J.Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Fri Jul 16 06:14:46 PDT 2004

noname writes:
> Hi
> i have a question about the lines in the sample menu.lst
>
> # The first entry is for LFS.
> title LFS 5.1.1
> root (hd0,3)
> kernel --no-mem-option /boot/lfskernel root=/dev/hda4
>
> my question is about the last line above:
> what does this root=/dev/hda4 mean ?
> i ask because i have no hda4 partition, should i change this value ?
>
> and my second question is, did i have to change the menu.lst because i use
> another partition for /boot than for /, i use hdb1 for /boot and hdb2 for /
> ?

It tells linux which partition is the linux root partition, the
partition that will get mounted on /.

If you chosed to put / on /dev/hdp36, then say root=/dev/hdp36

Note that it should probably  be the same as specified as root for grub:

root (hd15,35)
kernel /boot/a-kernel-file root=/dev/hdp36

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein