Problem with getting the LFS source on Harddisc
Vaughn, Nathaniel (N-DCT Systems)
nathaniel.vaughn at lmco.com
Wed Jul 14 09:29:38 PDT 2004
>From: "noname" <braindead at posthuman.de>
>Subject: Problem with getting the LFS source on Harddisc
>To: lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
>Message-ID: <cd0urr$oi$1 at belgarath.linuxfromscratch.org>
>Iam trying to install LFS from a bootcd because i just have an empty hd
>without an OS,
>so i downloaded a LFS bootdisc from linuxfromscatch.org.
>The Problem is that i have the LFS tarballs on my second PC so i burned them
>to another cd,
>i thought that i can umount the LFS bootdisc after initialising, and then
>put the LFS packages cd in and copy the files on hd, but when i try to
>umount the /cdrom i get the message:
>"umount: /cdrom: device is busy".
>The Problem is that i have no other choice as to burn the LFS packages on
>how can i put them on the hd?
>or what should i do?
What I like to do, and works great is the following:
1. Download the knoppix cd ISO, and burn to CD
2. Boot knoppix CD, I would boot as: knoppix -s # this would give you single user mode no KDE, etc..
3. fdisk the Hard drive properly, (make a partition for knoppix / this will be temporary)
4. reboot w/ the knoppix cd. boot as: knoppix tohd=/dev/hdax (this will load the knoppix OS on the partition as read-only)
5. reboot /w the knoppix CD. boot as: knoppix fromhd=/dev/hdax (this will load the knoppix from the hard drive.
6. You know can hit eject, and remove the CD, and install your sources CD /w tarballs.
Hope this helped.
Thank you, and have a great day.
DCT UNIX LAB
DCT Systems Group
More information about the lfs-support