Boot issue

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Jul 7 07:43:21 PDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Robert Horton wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just finished the unstable CVS book. I made sure to FBBG. Upon
> attempting to reboot into my new LFS with the 2.6.7 kernel I get this:
>
> Uncompressing Linux....Ok, Booting the kernel
> {a uname is done, all info is correct}
> Bios provided physical RAM map:
> {several lines of BIOS memory mappings}
> 511MB LOWMEM available
> On node 0 totalpages: 131056
> 	DMA zone: 4096 pages, LIFO batch:1
> 	Normal zone: 126960 pages, LIFO batch:16
> 	HighMem zone: 0 pages, LIFO batch:1
>

> and that is where it sits. I left it for several minutes on the of
> chance that it was doing something time consuming but to no avail.

 I haven't got a box currently running 2.6.7, but on 2.6.5 i686 I got
some slightly different memory-type messages, followed by ACPI.  So, I'm
guessing this is yet another acpi-related bug.

 A quick google suggested the boot arg to turn it off might be
'pci=noacpi'.  Of course, if you didn't enable acpi in your config then
it can't be the problem.

Ken