Kernel and hardware

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sun Jul 4 22:57:14 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 04:51, Georgi Chulkov wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I have finally assembled my first LFS system (so proud :)) but I am
> having problem with getting the kernel to support everything on my Dell
> D800 laptop. Could someone give me a little direction as to where to go
> looking for information such as what options to specify when compiling
> the kernel and what modules to add to it in order to support a certain
> type of hardware... some online database, some detection tools, who
> knows...
>
> I'm sure others would find this useful too.
>
> Thanks!

Slightly delayed response, but when working with new hardware, what I
usually do is boot up a Knoppix CD, and run the "lsmod" command.
Knoppix has some of the best hardware detection routines I know of, and
it tends to do a lot of things as modules, so finding out exactly which
modules it's loading goes a long way.  There's also the Linux on Laptops
web site, which has a LOT of data on various laptop models and which
drivers correspond to the hardware there.

Hope this helps!

-J-