Old GLIBC on LFS

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Thu Jul 1 07:17:11 PDT 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:23:42 -0300 Renato Riolino <listas at rbr.no-ip.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've built my LFS system and it's working wonderfully !!
>
> But I have one question: I have a game (Simcity 3000) that I bought from
> Loki Games and so I don't have access to the sources.
>
> When I try to run the game, it gives me this message:
>
> ./sc3u: relocation error: ./sc3u: symbol _dl_global_scope, version
> GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
>
> I think this mean that it was linked against GLIBC 2.0, so a possible
> fix would be install glibc 2.0 on my system.
>
> Is it possible to install an old glibc for use with only one especific
> app?

I think it should not be too hard. I suggest you download the glibc 2.0
sources and build them but do do make install, or alternatively configure
with --prefix=someplace so that make install will not overwrite your
system. DO NOT DO ANYTHING AS ROOT! It's too risky. If you make any
mistake you can make your system unusable. There's no need to configure,
compile or install glibc as root in this case.

Afterwards you manually copy the relevant .so files to some directory of
your choosing (e.g. /opt/old-glibc) and do

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/old-glibc

If this alone does not suffice to get the program to run, you may need to
invoke the dynamic loader ld-linux.so from the old glibc directly like
this  /opt/old-glibc/ld-linux.so /path/to/simcity-binary

MSB

--
The average woman would rather have beauty than brains,
because the average man can see better than he can think.