Old GLIBC on LFS

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Jul 1 04:16:12 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Renato Riolino wrote:

> Em Ter, 2004-06-29 às 03:00,
>
> Right, but I've see on some distros (RPM based) packages named
> compat-glibc or something like this.
>
> What I want to do is install an older glibc on a different path and
> change just on that app to use, for exemple,
> /opt/old-glibc/lib/ld-linux.so.2 . Any chances?
>
> Thanks
>
> Renato

 You can always try downloading rpms and using rpm2cpio to get a cpio
archive and look at that to see what they are doing.  If you do need a
second libc, you might want to review some postings by Cliff McDiarmid
in May (?)  and June on blfs-support (hint: your question should
probably have been there)  - he had the converse problem, he needed a
newer libc for an application, but didn't want to blow away his current
glibc.

 Search at archives.linuxfromscratch.org, I think his original postings
went into a lot of detail.  Looking at his June posting, he'd obviously
got it working in /usr/local.  You might need to write a wrapper script
for the application to make sure it uses the intended libc, possible
even setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the wrapper.

 And don't forget that in glibc < 2.3.3 glibc-linuxthreads was a
separate tarball.

Ken