Boot LFS from compact flash into ramdrive?

David Farrell dfarrell at protoparts.com
Thu Jan 29 17:08:57 PST 2004

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, BoB wrote:
>

>>I'd like to boot from the CF card in a read-only fashion, loading an LFS
>>system to a ramdrive.  Are there any docs that describe this more in depth?
>>Can someone offer a pointer or some assistance?  FWIW, I already have a dev
>>box running SuSE, so I'll only be running LFS on the other device.
>>

>  Not quite what you asked, but there's the readonly_rootfs.txt hint at
> your local mirror (i.e. '/' is read only, so much less needs to be in
> your ramdrive, but access to the CF is reputed to be slow).
>
> Ken

I am running a EPIA ME-6000 with a Sandisk UltraII series compact flash.
These CF cards are not slow, quite the contrary.  The only thing I tried
  to eliminate was a swap partition.  I figured heavy activity was bad
for the card.  When I tested with a swap partition, there was very
little virutal memory activity, so this assumption was probably not a
good one.  I do leave the root ext2 R/O and have a separate ext3
partition for /var and /tmp.  I build the image with the uname hack for
a i486 processor.  I use the same card with a Tsystems TS-5500 which
uses the AMD elan processor.  I have a number of these boards "in the
field" for the past several years running LFS with Interbase SQL.