No such File???

K. Mike Bradley kmb at mikienet.com
Tue Jan 27 13:14:41 PST 2004

Do the following:
readelf -l /tools/bin/bash | grep interpreter the output should be
Requesting program interpreter: /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2

I did indeed get:
/tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2

The other possibility is that somehow your chroot command got mucked up in
some sinister way. For starters, there shouldn't be a bash
residing in /bin at this stage (which is where MAKEDEV seems to be
indicating it's finding it).
You did reenter the chroot environment after sorting your cdrom out didn't
you??

I never left it. As I said the PC has been up for two weeks now since I
started. I never rebooted or logged off. This is my second attempt so I have
been careful not to miss a single step. When I got your response re: the
cdrom, I Alt-F2 and logged on as root (I didn't know this was possible after
the chroot). Copied the MAKEDEV-1-7.bz2 file from the CDROM to the source
dir and then was able to continue with the instructions by going back to
Alt-F1 (my original lfs log on where I chroot'ed).

You indicated you're new at linux - it's an entirely different kettle of
fish to m-ess. I don't like giving this advice, but for your first time
install of LFS I would suggest you read every letter of the LFS book and
follow the instructions also to the letter, double checking each command you
issue before entering it.

Exactly. I have looked every command up so I can get them into memory. My
whole purpose was to learn (as well as ending up with my own build).

This file "MAKEDEV" is a script? And needs bash (the shell to run)?
Therefore my error is due to pathing? Or bash not being able to run the
script in some way.