No such File???

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Tue Jan 27 09:08:57 PST 2004

I've made a new thread of this - instead of replying to some other mail,
create a new mail message to the mailing list if you're starting a new topic.

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 17:07, K. Mike Bradley wrote:
> Well Sorry to be a support hog but now I have a new problem.
> And things were going so smooth.
>
> I am at this page:
> http://lfs.130th.net/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/makedev.html
>
> Running this command:
> ./MAKEDEV -v generic-nopty
>

> It says:
> bash: ./MAKEDEV: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

There is a faq entry about this (especially the bad interpreter bit)
http://www.nl.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html#any-no-such-file

Do the following:
readelf -l /tools/bin/bash | grep interpreter
the output should be
Requesting program interpreter: /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2

If not, you're in the dwang and and need to go back a whole lot of steps -
_read the faq_ Here's to hoping that this is not your problem. The other
possibility is that somehow your chroot command got mucked up in some
sinister way. For starters, there shouldn't be a bash residing in /bin at
this stage (which is where MAKEDEV seems to be indicating it's finding it).
You did reenter the chroot environment after sorting your cdrom out didn't
you??

You indicated you're new at linux - it's an entirely different kettle of fish
to m-ess. I don't like giving this advice, but for your first time install of
LFS I would suggest you read every letter of the LFS book and follow the
instructions also to the letter, double checking each command you issue
before entering it. Ask for help if you don't understand something or are
unsure how to continue if the available literature doesn't tell you what you
need, rather that than asking questions that appear in the faq - this is
asking to get flamed.

Success - Allard.

allard at quicknet.nl