CDRom Stuck

K. Mike Bradley kmb at mikienet.com
Tue Jan 27 08:26:12 PST 2004

The whole problem was that when I did an "ls -a" while in my "chroot'ed"
source dir, the MAKEDEV file did not appear.
Why? I don't know. (all caps?)

So I assumed I had missed it and tried to see if it was on the CDROM. Or if
I needed to burn another. Of course the Cdrom was not available in the
chroot.

Now that I understand you can still Alt-Fn and log in as root the host
system ...
(I thought the chroot got the PC completely out of the host but I guess it
is just for that user on that VTY?)
... I could then see the file when I did "ls -a".

But on the chroot'ed I can not see it.

Weird, but I was able to copy the MAKEDEV-1.7.bz2 file as root, then switch
back, and continue on.

I had originally unzipped it.
Hence the book instructions:

bzcat MAKEDEV-1.7.bz2 > /dev/MAKEDEV

... Could not be completed.

So I am wondering why I can not see this file with ls -a?