CDRom Stuck

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Jan 26 11:57:23 PST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, K. Mike Bradley wrote:

> I just got to Chapter 6
>
> Did chroot, all ok, but ...
>

> My CDROM is stuck in the damn thing and I can't mount it or get it out to
> remount the CD with the source files I missed.

 This is stuck as in "it went in, but perhaps a bit out of alignment,
and now the drive is jammed ?"  You'll probably have to power off, or at
least reboot, to get it out.  Last time something similar happened to
me, the CDROM had died.  I know, you didn't want to hear that :)

> Can't power down now or all will be lost. I would never get my place back.

 Why not ?

> Stuck at MAKEDEV ... Waiting patiently.
>
> {will Gates win in the end???}

 I assume you can't run Makedev because the file is on the CD and you
don't have an internet connection from this box ?  In which case, you
have a command prompt in chroot - if /proc is already mounted, umount
it.  Similarly with /dev/pts.  I guess you haven't mounted anything else
if you haven't run Makedev.  Anyway, when anything you've mounted in
chroot is umounted, exit out of chroot (this allows you to shut down
cleanly, otherwise the host won't know about your extra mounts and won't
manage to umount $LFS because it is busy).  If you have the space and
haven't already made a backup of /mnt/lfs, now would be a good time to
do so.  Then reboot and try to remove the CD again before the bootloader
kicks in.  If that fails, power off and get your screwdrivers out!

 Once your hardware is back in business, boot up, mount $LFS, resume
from chapter 6.  Or have I missed something ?

Ken
--
This is a job for Riviera Kid!