how big is our libc-2.3.2.so file?

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Mon Jan 26 10:05:15 PST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> julius wrote:
>
> > need the libc for a 2.88mb floppy, cd boot sector.
>
> Then you need to look into a alternative, glibc is overkill for that.
> Both dietlibc and uClibc are good candidates. However, do you even need
> a floppy image on the CD at all? I use no-emulation boot CDs all the
> time without a problem, which means no size restrictions on the boot
> files at all.

If he needs to shoot for an "El Torito" spec CD, he would need a boot
image (many older units may support this but not regular bootables?).

Also, having a bootable floppy image does allow one to make a bootable
floppy right off the CD (rawcopy(?) utility) for any units that have no
CD or a unit that can't boot CD at all.

Handy.

But Kevin does make a good point too. Check Chapter 3 of the BLFS book.
It needs updating, probably, but it can help down the path Kevin
suggests. Also check the various hints that LFS has available. Good
stuff in there too!

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet