A suggestion (was: Re: .bash_profile(permission denied)

Richard A Downing FBCS richard at 109bean.org.uk
Mon Jan 26 08:47:36 PST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:45:26 -0500 (EST)
Bill's LFS Login <lfsbill at nospam.dot> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Henry K van Eyken wrote:
>
> > Scott.
> >
> > I am not answering your question directly, but what I have to say is
> > relevant. Although I do use the command line from time to time, I am
> > far, very far from an expert user. Going through the LFS book makes me
> > double aware of that. Also the language used - the language experts use,
> > or jargon, if you wish - frequently gets me stumped. Having said this it
> > looks to me that this course may well turn out to be an excellent
> > experience for people such as us. Time will tell.
>
> I note that BLFS recently added a glossary section. This may not be a
> bad idea for the LFS book. If you think it has merit, why not suggest
> that on the lfs-dev list?
>
> Also, Richard Downing has begun a useful effort here
>
> <http://www.109bean.org.uk/LFS-references.html>

At some personal risk, I suggest that the parent page:
  <http://www.109bean.org.uk/opensource.html>
might be a better reference.  From here you can see both my 'magna operes',
they are intended to be 'bookends' about the LFS book.  'Essential Pre-Reading'
should get you to the point where the LFS book is readable, and
'LFS-References' should teach you how to use what you just built.

I always hope for, but seldom get, input from new users, so that I can improve
them.

> Also, the target audience is "intermediate-to-advanced" users. Total
> n00bs may come, but much less consideration must be given that so that
> the book stays at a level appropriate to that "intermediate-to-advanced"
> user.
>

> > I am tempted to suggest this approach: Dividing the students in this
> > course into those who use Linux in their studies or professionally and
> > those who are amateurs. There might be a separate list for the latter
> > group and, one would hope, there would be some tutors willing to look at
> > the questions and respond to them. From this there might develop a set
> > of supplementary notes to the various parts of the book.
>
> LFS is not course-work. It is not curriculum. It is not designed to
> address a cross-section of users based on profession/student
> categories.
>
> What you suggest seems to be a completely different project than what
> LFS wants to be.

However, it is a laudable objective, and I for one, would be happy to
contribute.  Some years ago I would have been in the amateur category (in fact
as retired old fart I still am), but 20 years ago I was in the professional
category, so I see both camps.

> > I wonder, are there others out there in the same predicament as Scott
> > and myself? If you are among them, would you care to comment?
>
> You may find it useful to use the LFS newsgroups or the mailing list
> archives in conjunction with the website's "search" utility. Many
> discussions about content, target audience, what to include or not, ...
> have occurred in the past. A review of those may offer some
> considerations that you may not have considered yet.

Bill's comments are 'bang on', but if you want to go down the Teaching route,
I'm happy to help.  I'm finding LFS a bit boring at the moment, I'm already
running Kernel-2.6 with NPTL threading, so most 'development' is not
particularly interesting.  I'm more interested in the educational aspects
anyway.

Richard.

--
Richard A Downing FBCS http://www.109bean.org.uk/