A suggestion (was: Re: .bash_profile(permission denied)

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Mon Jan 26 06:45:26 PST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Henry K van Eyken wrote:

> Scott.
>
> I am not answering your question directly, but what I have to say is
> relevant. Although I do use the command line from time to time, I am
> far, very far from an expert user. Going through the LFS book makes me
> double aware of that. Also the language used - the language experts use,
> or jargon, if you wish - frequently gets me stumped. Having said this it
> looks to me that this course may well turn out to be an excellent
> experience for people such as us. Time will tell.

I note that BLFS recently added a glossary section. This may not be a
bad idea for the LFS book. If you think it has merit, why not suggest
that on the lfs-dev list?

Also, Richard Downing has begun a useful effort here

<http://www.109bean.org.uk/LFS-references.html>

I suggest you check it out to see if that doesn't offer some help. IIRC,
the URL may be appearing in the next release of the LFS book as another
aid for all of us.

BTW, if folks are in a foul mood, they will hammer you for top-posting.
If you can, intersperse your comments at appropriate places in the
original post when you reply. The book and FAQ have some references to
the desired "netiquette".

><snip>

> What, I believe, is needed most at this point is a more readily
> available clarification of terms in the language of newbies, those
> newbies who pretty well meet the prerequisites set out early in the book
> (and with some tolerance for forgetting and the need for reinforcement).

Even though I suggested a glossary *might* be suitable for the LFS book
above, I also keep this in mind.

There are *many* sources for this information already available on the
net. Part of the LFS goals is to avoid *unnecessary* duplication of
information already available from these sources. LFS does not want to
replace them. So careful consideration is needed in this area.

Also, the target audience is "intermediate-to-advanced" users. Total
n00bs may come, but much less consideration must be given that so that
the book stays at a level appropriate to that "intermediate-to-advanced"
user.

> I am tempted to suggest this approach: Dividing the students in this
> course into those who use Linux in their studies or professionally and
> those who are amateurs. There might be a separate list for the latter
> group and, one would hope, there would be some tutors willing to look at
> the questions and respond to them. From this there might develop a set
> of supplementary notes to the various parts of the book.

LFS is not course-work. It is not curriculum. It is not designed to
address a cross-section of users based on profession/student
categories.

What you suggest seems to be a completely different project than what
LFS wants to be.

> I wonder, are there others out there in the same predicament as Scott
> and myself? If you are among them, would you care to comment?

You may find it useful to use the LFS newsgroups or the mailing list
archives in conjunction with the website's "search" utility. Many
discussions about content, target audience, what to include or not, ...
have occurred in the past. A review of those may offer some
considerations that you may not have considered yet.

> Henry
><snip>

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet