LFS-5.0-chap06-coreutils-configure gives error

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Jan 26 04:11:07 PST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Radha Kumar Reddy Pulyala wrote:

> LFS-5.0-chap06
> while installing coreutils, configure gives error,
> "checking for C compiler default output... configure:  error: C compiler
> cannot create executables".
> I didnot install the glibc and gcc in chap06 and directly started with
> coreutils but I installed all the tools of chap05.
>
> can you plz tell me how to proceed
>
> Radha Kumar Reddy

On principle, no!  LFS isn't a "pick whichever of these packages you
think you'd like" book, you have to follow it all (experts are allowed
to use version upgrades and alternatives for one or two minor things,
but they get to solve their own problems and keep all their pain).

OK, you've hopefully not damaged your build, so go back and do the
things you omitted.  Better, go back and read the introduction and
toolchain technical notes at the start of chapter 5.

If you get "C compiler cannot create executables" in the future, look at
the output from configure (probably in config.log).  Sometimes it's
caused by junk in your CFLAGS or LDFLAGS, other times the compiler just
plain doesn't work - follow the book, run all the tests that are marked
as important, and you should be able to build it.

Ken
--
This is a job for Riviera Kid!