Boot problem

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon Jan 26 03:50:27 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 12:28:59PM +0100, Meher Khiari (E-mail) wrote:
> lol ok ok, I trust you !! (I was dumb to say something like that).
> But If the kernel was optimized for Athlon (ie : by passing -march=athlon),
> how can you explain that the kernel loaded normally (I would hang on the
> first lines)??

Dunno. But it's a common symptom for kernel's compiled for i686 to blowup
somewhere during the boot (i.e. before it gets to init) when run on i586. In
this case, it seems to have gotten as far as "Freeing unused kernel memory:
264k freed". Hmmmm, which is right before init.

Hmm, it seems I may have jumped the gun :-/ If init was compiled with
-march=i686 then that would be it and Joel was right in the very first
place. The OP didn't say whether CFLAGS were tweaked or not. Oh well, the
point from my reply to you remains so at least you've learnt something :-)