Boot problem

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon Jan 26 02:33:23 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:56:33PM -0500, Joel Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:44:08 -0500, Jonathan-Marc Lapointe
> <jmlap75 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> >I succefully completed the LFS book version 5 and all was fine. I had
> >the idea to tar everything to install it on an other system, but when I
> >try to boot this other system, it freezes in the middle of the process
> >at this line: "Freeing unused kernel memory: 264k freed" and nothing
> >more hapens, it just freezes.
<snip>

> You have a problem. The Athlon is a 686 processor and the k6-2 is a 586
> processor. Programs that are compiled with the athlon will have 686
> instructions that will not work on a 586. If you intend to compile LFS for
> an older x86 architecture then you should follow the cross-compiling hint
> at hints.linuxfromscratch.org

Huh? It's the kernel crapping out and not the compiled LFS. As you quite
rightly say, the K6 is more like an i586. Compiling his kernel for i586
should allow it to boot fine.

There is no need for cross-compiling hint unless _optimizing_ for a lesser
cpu. By default, i.e. without any sort of CFLAGS, gcc will emit i386
instructions that run on all x86 CPU's (equivalent to -march=i386).