.bash_profile(permission denied)

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Sun Jan 25 19:59:28 PST 2004

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:52:52 -0500, Jonathan-Marc Lapointe
<jmlap75 at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> scott at coloray.com wrote:
>
>> I am using the LFS book 4.1. The host system is Mandrake 9.2. The
>> partition used for the LFS is on a separate drive. I am following the
>> book
>> and when I try to execute the following instructions for "Setting up the
>> environment" in Chapter 5 I get a "permissions denied" response. Here is
>> the output:
>>
>> lfs at linx:~> cat > ~/.bash_profile << "EOF"
>>
>>> umask 022
>>> LFS=/mnt/lfs
>>> LC_ALL=POSIX
>>> CC="gcc -s"
>>> export LFS LC_ALL CC
>>> EOF
>>
>>  -bash: /home/lfs/.bash_profile: Permission denied
>>
>> Please advise me how to assign the permissions correctly or whatever I
>> need to do to continue. Warning: I can follow instructions, but I am a
>> Linux newbie.
>> Thanks for the help
>> Scott
>>

> When you tried to create that file where you root? If not, try it again
> being root user.

This is not a great answer. He is logged in as the lfs user and trying to
write a file to his home directory. Any user should be able to write to
their home directory. Two things I think you check:
Is there an existing .bash_profile and if so what are the permissions on
it and also what are the permissions on your home directory?

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182