feedback re tmpfs

Jörg W Mittag Joerg.Mittag at Web.De
Sat Jan 24 17:47:21 PST 2004

Allard Welter wrote:
> So I've gone back to mounting tmpfs on /dev/shm as well as on /tmp and /var/
> tmp, although somewhere I read that mounting on /var/tmp is not such a good
> idea as stuff here is sometimes needed after reboot. I can't imagine this,
> why use a temporary directory then?

This is what the FHS has to say about this issue (taken from FHS 2.3 beta,
but the current 2.2 is similar):

| 3.19. /tmp : Temporary files
| 3.19.1. Purpose
| The /tmp directory must be made available for programs that require
| temporary files.
| Programs must not assume that any files or directories in /tmp are
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| preserved between invocations of the program.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

| Rationale
| IEEE standard P1003.2 (POSIX, part 2) makes requirements that are similar
| to the above section.
| Although data stored in /tmp may be deleted in a site-specific manner, it
| is recommended that files and directories located in /tmp be deleted
| whenever the system is booted.
| FHS added this recommendation on the basis of historical precedent and
| common practice, but did not make it a requirement because system
| administration is not within the scope of this standard.

| 5.15. /var/tmp : Temporary files preserved between system reboots
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| 5.15.1. Purpose
| The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require
                                                             ^^^^^^^
| temporary files or directories that are preserved between system
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| reboots. Therefore, data stored in /var/tmp is more persistent than data
  ^^^^^^^
| in /tmp.
| Files and directories located in /var/tmp must not be deleted when the
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| system is booted. Although data stored in /var/tmp is typically deleted
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| in a site-specific manner, it is recommended that deletions occur at a
| less frequent interval than /tmp.

Read, compare, and decide for yourself. I, personally, do mount tmpfs on
/dev/shm, /tmp, /var/tmp, /var/lock and /var/run, but I am not a commercial
distribution vendor and I am both the only administrator and the only user
of my system and so I do not need to be FHS compliant (or compliant with any
other standards, except my own).

jwm
--
elinks-0.4.2% ./configure
checking whether to be or not to be... needs to be determined