glibc-2.3.2 issue in chapter 5

Chris J Nally cnally at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 23 21:16:09 PST 2004

I am trying to install the glibc-2.3.2 program and I get to prepare
properly.  I have as far as I can see done everything up to this point
exactly by the book (LFS 5.0).  Here is a snippet of the last several
lines of output I get when I run the glibc-2.3.2/configure command along
with the listed options:

running configure fragment for ../glibc-2.3.2/sysdeps/i386/elf
running configure fragment for ../glibc-2.3.2/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux
checking for egrep... (cached) grep -E
checking installed Linux kernel header files... 2.0.10 or later
*** On GNU/Linux systems it is normal to compile GNU libc with the
*** `linuxthreads' add-on.  Without that, the library will be
*** incompatible with normal GNU/Linux systems.
*** If you really mean to not use this add-on, run configure again
*** using the extra parameter `--disable-sanity-checks'.

What is causing this error, and how can I correct it?

Sincerely,

Chris Nally