Strange GRUB problem

Egor Pervuninski egor at scatisp.ru
Fri Jan 23 00:18:58 PST 2004

Hello All,

Yesterday I was playing with the latest 2.6.1 kernel trying to get bootsplash
work together with the vesafb patch by Michal 'Spock' Januszewski. Finally I
had ended up with a completely unbootable system due to very strange problem
with GRUB.

Afetr series of succesful reboots I compiled new version of kernel, copied
it to /boot and edited /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect changes and rebooted.
All that I got is a single 'GRUB' word on the screen and that's all. So, I took
KNOPPIX CD and booted from it. Having skimmed the info on the web I decided
that grub could not load stage2 and copied stage1 and stage2 to /boot/grub
from /usr/share/grub/i386-pc/ than I run GRUB and reinstall it to MBR with
the following commands:
root (hd0,4)
setup (hd0)
quit
After reboot I didn't even see the 'GRUB' word. The system just hanged trying
to boot from the hard drive. I booted into KNOPPIX again and created boot
floppy with the command mke2fs /dev/fd0 and copied /boot/grub/* onto it. Than
I installed GRUB on it with:
grub --batch << EOF
root (fd0)
setup (fd0)
quit
EOF
When I tried to boot from floppy I got the same hanged PC with no info on
screen (but floppy led was still alight). So it refused to boot from floppy to.
After that as a last resort I created another boot floppy under KNOPPIX with
the commands:
dd if=/boot/grub/stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
dd if=/boot/grub/stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
No luck! But it displayed the following: GRUB Failed to load stage2 (or
something like that).

The geometry of my disk is following. On (hd0,0) is a NTFS partition with
Windows XP (stay cool, it's just for my family members to play some games),
the LFS partition is (hd0,4) and it's ext2 and finally swap is on (hd,5).

So the question is where to go from here? The last thing that I didn't do
is to rebuid GRUB from scratch having chrooted to LFS partition from KNOPPIX.
I'll try it today but any suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. My menu.lst

# Begin /boot/grub/menu.lst

# By default boot the first menu entry.
default 0

# Allow 30 seconds before booting the default.
timeout 30

# Use prettier colors.
color green/black light-green/black

# The first entry is for LFS.
title GNU/Linux
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/lfskernel ro root=/dev/hda5 vga=0x512

title Windows XP Home Edition
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Regards,