Chapter 6 : Glibc make install error

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Thu Jan 22 04:12:55 PST 2004

On Thursday 22 January 2004 16:15, Terry Nail wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> I stumbled on LFS while looking for a new distro to use and I love the
> whole idea, so I decided to give it a try.
> I got up to Chapter 6, to the Installing Glibc-2.3.2 section and when I ran
> make install I got this error message. Everything up until this point was
> working great. Can anyone help me solve this problem?
> I am currently running RH9 as the host OS, and using the LFS 5.0 package.
>
> ---------cut------------
>
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.2/elf'
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/sources/glibc-2.3.2/elf'
> gcc -nostdlib -nostartfiles -r -o /lfs-packages/glibc-build/libc_pic.os \
>  -Wl,-d -Wl,--whole-archive /lfs-packages/glibc-build/libc_pic.a
> /lfs-packages/glibc-build/libc_pic.a: member
> /lfs-packages/glibc-build/libc_pic.a(tcflush.os) in archive is not an
> object collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [lfs-packages/glibc-build/libc_pic.os] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory 'sources/glibc-2.3.2'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> ---------end------------

Howdy,

I'm unfamiliar with the error, but it is suggesting that some objects weren't
built. A few things to check:

Did you check the faq, in particular:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html#any-no-such-file

Did you remove the sources from ch 5 and re-unpack them? If not, do so, there
may be object files hanging about from the first build which make doesn't
deem necesarry to rebuilt causing the linker to get confused. See:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html#dirty-sources

You say everything went swimmingly in ch5 so I'm assuming this includes the
sanity check for gcc. Double check.

At this stage your host distro _shouldn't_ have anything to do with
proceedings.

Regards - Allard

BTW Your clock is a couple of hours in the future.

allard at quicknet.nl