Stuck at Kernel build

K. Mike Bradley kmb at mikienet.com
Wed Jan 21 09:12:19 PST 2004

Thanks again. On my way.

-----Original Message-----
From: lfs-support-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org
[mailto:lfs-support-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org] On Behalf Of Allard Welter
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 11:29 AM
To: lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: Re: Stuck at Kernel build

On Wednesday 21 January 2004 17:08, K. Mike Bradley wrote:
> Thanks. Just before I got this email I did do the chown -R on my
> source and tools folder and now it works.
> One more question:
> All the configure and make commands I have run (on binutils and gcc)
> is that foobared? Because I didn't have write permission?
>
> I didn't see any errors.

You should be able to continue quite safely. You would have got errors if
you weren't able to write somewhere. It depends on the permissions set on
the directories within the source trees where the object files and others,
used during the build, are created. If for instance you weren't able to
create some object file and the build actually continued, the linker would
eventually have complained etc.

Success with your build, don't skimp the details in the book, there are some
important gotchas you may miss if you do.

Allard

allard at quicknet.nl