LFS not booting Grub error

Kevin Alm kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net
Mon Jan 19 13:11:24 PST 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 09:28 am, Karl Wilbur wrote:
> Remember that GRUB has a slightly different naming system for hard
> drives than what you maybe used to.
>
> hda = (hd0)
> hda1 = (hd0,0)
> hda2 = (hd0,1) ...

Sorry to be overly pedantic, but this not strictly correct. What grub does is
search in sequence hda, hdb, hdc ... hdh assigning a number 0, 1, 2 ...
whenever and only if it finds a hard drive. cdrom/cdrw's don't count nor do I
believe other ide devices, for example ls120 drives.

On my system, I have my hd's on a pci udma66 card and my cd drives on the
motherboard ide's (udma33).  hde=(hd0).