LFS not booting Grub error

Karl Wilbur karl at karlwilbur.net
Mon Jan 19 07:28:46 PST 2004

If you built LFS on a partition of your host drive and can still boot to
your host partition or if you built LFS on a seoerate drive and can
still boot to your host drive, either way boot you host system, then you
can still chroot into the LFS build then rebuild GRUB.

Remember that GRUB has a slightly different naming system for hard
drives than what you maybe used to.

hda = (hd0)
hda1 = (hd0,0)
hda2 = (hd0,1) ...

and root is not the "/" partition necissairly.  For example if you
created a boot partition (mount point /boot) seperate from your root
partition (mount point /) then GRUB expects that you give it the boot
partition with the root command.

Example drive partitions:
hda1	/boot	e2fs
hda2	/	reiserfs(or whatever)