Chapter 8: Creating the /etc/fstab file

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Jan 16 16:11:36 PST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Serge Denault wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am almost there, but stressed and puzzled... In a case like that, better
> ask the pros
>
> I am refering to the file systems table.

I don't think the fstab should be your real concern.  In the fullness of
time you can add an entry for hda1 (as vfat or ntfs, whichever it is)
and for ntfs you'll need the ntfs-utils to read it, for vfat the
dosfstools will perhaps be useful.  Meanwhile, if it is vfat and your
kernel supports it you can (as root) manually mount hda1.

Suse is going to be ext2 or ext3 or reiserfs - you'll need to know, and
for reiserfs you'll need the reiserfstools (see the BLFS book).

> Presently, my HD has 4 partitions. SuSE 9 boots in and the boot manager
> offers linux, windows and a couple of other things.

Your real concern should be which boot manager SUSE uses.  Presumably it
lives on the master boot record (which is why you go through it to boot
windows).  Grub or lilo ?

> The partitions are: hda1=windows, hd2=linux, hd3=swap hda4=lfs
>
> linux is mounted at /

True for all active values of `linux' ;)

> How can I set this up so I don<t loose SUSE boot manager.
>
> So, my understanding is the following:
>
> the / in the table refers to hda4 only

for the fstab within lfs, yes, you are right.

> the swap is to be shared by linux and lfs

yes

> the fs-type for lfs is ext2

Your distro, your rules.  What fs did you use ?  I think the book
suggests ext3 these days, but you could have used a number of different
filesystems.

> Or am I completely out of the track?
>
> And where does that windows fits in (I am not even shure I have to bother
> with it actually)

 You don't _need_ it in /etc/fstab, but it can help when you eventually
want to get data from it.

 You probably do want the Suse partition there, so that you can mount it
and access files.  You'll need to create the directory where you are
going to mount it, and you'll need to know the fs type.

 What really matters is getting the bootloader working - the "safer" way
is to add lfs to the Suse bootloader, whatever it is, until you know
that lfs boots correctly.  When you get there, come back with more
details if you still need help (some of us understand grub, others like
me have only the vaguest idea of how it works).

> Any light for this tortured brain of mine will be mostly appreciated :-)

Ken
--
This is a job for Riviera Kid!