Chap 5 (Adding the User lfs) - 'chown' commands need to be updated

Adam Rosenwald metaintelligence at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 09:31:20 PST 2004

Meher Khiari wrote:
>>Hey guys,
>>
>>In chapter 5 (Adding the user lfs), the two chown commands,
>>

>>>chown lfs $LFS/tools
>>>chown lfs $LFS/sources
>>
>>(or at least the second command) are insufficient in
>>providing the 'lfs'
>>user access to the source files.  I'm sure many people are aware of
>>this, but the problem has not been addressed in the CVS (as of
>>1/14/2004).  This is merely a matter of applying chown
>>recursively. So...
>>

>>>chown lfs -R $LFS/sources
>>
>>and (optionally)...
>>

>>>chown lfs -R $LFS/tools
>>

> When the book starts with this, the directories tools and sources are
> supposed to be empty of any file so the recursivity is not necessary !

That is correct (that the book presumes those directories are empty).
BUT... eventually the source files will be copied to the sources
directory (or some other subdirectory of $LFS).  From my experience, I
find that any new files added to the sources directory after the 'chown
lfs $LFS/sources' command is executed do not have the proper permissions
set for the lfs user.  I cannot even extract from the compressed files!
  Only a recursive chown command (or a chown command for each new file
added) will solve this problem.  What am I missing here?

- Adam (metaintelligence at hotmail.com)