in LFS book I see no specific mention of creating a cross-platformLFS system

Meher Khiari meher.khiari at netwaybsb.com
Wed Jan 14 08:09:11 PST 2004

> Hi;
>
>   I've searched through and browsed (not read every page) of
> the LFS on-line
> book.  I see no specific mention of how LFS could be used to create a
> cross-platform system although I see on the LFS website that
> there are
> several people who use LFS to create a cross-platform embedded Linux
> environment. I would like to consider using the LFS approach
> in creating an
> embedded Linux target environment for the arm platform using
> a pc linux host.
>
>   Please point me to places in the LFS book were this is
> mentioned since I
> must have missed it.  If this does not exist, I am pleading
> for somebody to
> create a document explaining how to use LFS to create an embedded
> cross-platform Linux environment.
>
>   I suppose that I could read between the lines and guess
> what I need to do by
> looking at other open source cross-platform embedded Linux
> procedures (which
> I have looked at, don't understand and have failed at implementing)...

In the LFS hints there is one which adapts to cross-compiling between x86
platforms so it don't apply for your case (and that's what all people think
when saying cross compiling).
So you can't compile the LFS in an x86 system because while compiling the
toolchain, the book uses the binaries compiled for that architecture and
will not, then, function !!