strange badblocks problem

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Tue Jan 13 16:02:42 PST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, marnixk wrote:

> Bill's LFS Login wrote:
>
> ><snip>

> You've lost me. The partition (/dev/hda9) with the errors has a block size
> of 4k (tune2fs) and a block count of 734965. The blocking factor is 8 so
> the filesystem occupies 5879720 sectors, right? Now sfdisk -l -uS on that
> drive shows that /dev/hda9 is 5879727 sectors. If I understand your post
> correctly than this should not give problems because partition is bigger
> than the FS. However, this partition is the one with the problems... Am I
> insane? Maybe the protection by the kernel is failing due to some other
> issue after all?
>
> Marnix

I see in my other reply to this that I have succumbed to discombobulated
mixing of terms, numbers, and recognized after the fact that I have gone
astray. Please adjust things as appropriate. You know what I meant,
right? E.g. I ref a block starting at 5879721 (impossible) when I should
have said "ending" there because the last block would likely start at
5879713. *sigh* Doing this remotely while doing other things may not be
the best thing.

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet