Installing Coreutils-5.0

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Jan 13 13:48:16 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:47:32PM +0000, Richard A Downing FBCS wrote:
> Back in the mists of time last century when UNIX was young, the shell had
> a built-in '[' that provided the 'test' functionality.

Umm, it still does. Most shells do.

> Many people wrote
> scripts that used it.  So that those scripts still work we provide the
> symlink to the 'test' application.
>
> Now it is YOUR LFS, so you don't HAVE to do it, but then many scripts will
> need to be edited to work.  Your call!

No, that's incorrect. Because it's a shell builtin, it will usually always be
available. No editing needed.

We make the symlink because the FHS says we need to provide a real binary
(in our case a symlink) of some sort, even tho' in practice it's pretty much
useless.