Installing Coreutils-5.0

Richard A Downing FBCS geek109 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 12:47:32 PST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:54:25 -0500, Shelton wrote:

> my lfs system is up and running and all seems well.

Congrats, and well done.

> But I just remembered something that I meant to ask about.
>
> When installing Coreutils, one of the last steps is to
> create the following (IMO) odd symlink...
>
> 	ln -s test /bin/[
>
> Could someone please explain why this is necessary?
> thanks

Back in the mists of time last century when UNIX was young, the shell had
a built-in '[' that provided the 'test' functionality.  Many people wrote
scripts that used it.  So that those scripts still work we provide the
symlink to the 'test' application.

Now it is YOUR LFS, so you don't HAVE to do it, but then many scripts will
need to be edited to work.  Your call!

--
Richard A Downing FBCS
http://www.freewebs.com/109bean/