strange badblocks problem

marnixk lfs at mkaart.net
Tue Jan 13 10:59:35 PST 2004

Bill's LFS Login wrote:

> Yep. Take the car out of reverse!  ;) When the partition is *bigger*,
> no problems. The FS can be created with *fewer* sectors than the
> partition has and there will be no problem, only the reverse causes the
> problem. The kernel protects against accessing *outside* the partition.

You've lost me. The partition (/dev/hda9) with the errors has a block size
of 4k (tune2fs) and a block count of 734965. The blocking factor is 8 so
the filesystem occupies 5879720 sectors, right? Now sfdisk -l -uS on that
drive shows that /dev/hda9 is 5879727 sectors. If I understand your post
correctly than this should not give problems because partition is bigger
than the FS. However, this partition is the one with the problems... Am I
insane? Maybe the protection by the kernel is failing due to some other
issue after all?

Marnix