strange badblocks problem

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Tue Jan 13 08:25:24 PST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, marnixk wrote:

> Hello,
>
><snip>

> Thanks in advance for any help!

>From your post, I believe you really have the answer already, but just
didn't recognize it. Search the LFS archives (you'll have to try
different keywords, I can't recall is the thread was under bad blocks or
something else) and you'll see what I mean about having the answer
already.

IIRC, it has to do with partitioning tool (partitions in sectors, blocks,
tracks or cyls) and block sizes. When the partition end contains the
*start* of a block that encompasses *multiple* sectors and one or more
of the remaining sectors would be beyond the end of the partition, you
get these failures.

Your math shows this potential, although I really did not get in-depth
with it. I could see you were headed in the right direction, so I
skimmed all that.

>From that "skimming", I would guess you had a 2K block size (4 sectors)
and the partition does not end on a multiple of 4 sectors.

If you can repartition so that the number of sectors is evenly divisible
by the sectors per block, your problem should go away.

> Marnix

HTH

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet