grub question

Shelton shelton at onr.com
Mon Jan 12 22:13:59 PST 2004

the answer is a firm NO!
You cannot get away with a half-assed installation of
grub. I hoped that i could have gotten away with just
replacing the stage2 file. nope. then i used the rescue
image from an old suse cd and tried to copy the old
stage2 back into place. that didn't work. i guess grub is
once bitten twice shy. so i tried to see what the rescue
environment offered. turned out to be a whole lot. i went
to my friend's place (he's an insomniac also) and copied
the important bits from the LFS Book about entering the
chroot environment and about installing/configuring grub.
i took notes. came home, booted into the suse rescue
image, chroot, rebuild grub. reinstall grub. reconfigure
grub. all the grubbing i should have done in the first
place. and now my shiny lfs system is back and running, a
little bruised, but still shiny. PHEW!!!

i'm getting good at saving my system (old host system was
abolished saturday night, this was the 4th scare, always
when i try something whacky with grub or with the
kernel). But i'm also getting tired of saving my system.

i think i'm going to get away from the computer for a
little while... hike across china, ponder life, the
universe, and everything; maybe even write a book. i
think i'll call it "look _closely_ before you jump."

--
~rick