analyses

Edward Pinski pinskie at physics.uc.edu
Mon Jan 12 06:09:38 PST 2004

> On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 19:28, steve huskey wrote:

> > > I don't render html mails personally anyway, I can't stand them.  If
> > > it's a subject that looks like a bug report I'll flag it and wait to
> > > see if someone else responds to it, if not, I try to decipher it.  :)
> > > HTML is the one format that's almost always spam, I thought it was
> > > flagged in SA as spam already, but some were slipping through somehow.

> > > Yeah, we were doing good for a while there, I don't know what
> > > happened.  Spammers getting smarter, I guess.

> > > I would never subscribe to a mailing list just to submit a bug
> > > report, it's just too much work to help somebody out.  I have many
> > > bug reports from people not subscribed, I know, because it's annoying
> > > when they say "Please email me, I'm not subscribed.".  :)
> > its unfortunate that the courts ruled that ISP can not sue spamers out
> > side of there state (as most are out side of Virgina) most US ISP can
> > not bring them to trial. AOL is trying to SUE them in Florida so well
> > see. No matter how much I hate AOL at least they are standing up.
> > if it is not posted one way to stop spam from the inter net is to put
> > the email address in <> ie <iccaros at comcast.net> and tell the user to
> > cut and past the address in to there email client. also explain that
> > this stops spam bots as they have no link to go to.
> >
> > by the way that is my email so no spam please ....
> >
> > and as soon as you list on the site that you do not accept spam then it
> > becomes a US federal law to send spam to the site (what ever good that
> > does)
> > just my 2 cents.
>
> sorry its was late to block span engines and bots this example works. I
> forgot that most email programs were adapted for the  outer <>.
> <please replace AT with @ and help us stop spam.> iccaros<AT>comcastnet
>
> this is a easy way to stop the spam we have been getting and still let
> outsiders post as they just need to read to know how to send a message.

So how does this stop people from spamming the list?  The argument at hand
is about that people are spamming the list, not spamming the people on the
list.  As for what to do about it, sub-only lists is not the way to go.
It would alienate a lot of people.  Nor would user protected nntp, I mean
seriously, why would you want to get help with a problem, and have to go
jump through 8 hoops to get help?  The way it is now is just fine.  Just
need to get some updated killfiles for SA, and set it up such that it
protects against more spam.