analyses

steve huskey iccaros at comcast.net
Mon Jan 12 05:48:29 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 19:28, steve huskey wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 19:03, Billy O'Connor wrote:
> > Jeroen Coumans <jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org> writes:
> > >
> > > What do you think about blocking HTML mail as another step?
> > > Combatting
> >
> > I don't render html mails personally anyway, I can't stand them.  If
> > it's a subject that looks like a bug report I'll flag it and wait to
> > see if someone else responds to it, if not, I try to decipher it.  :)
> > HTML is the one format that's almost always spam, I thought it was
> > flagged in SA as spam already, but some were slipping through somehow.
> >
> > > spam is a continuous proces; obviously spammers have found ways around
> > > our current installed SpamAssassin (2.55). I note that 2.61 is the
> > > latest version though; so we should definetely upgrade to keep up.
> >
> > Yeah, we were doing good for a while there, I don't know what
> > happened.  Spammers getting smarter, I guess.
> >
> > > Rest assured, I regard subscribe-only mailinglists as a last
> > > resort. But the lists aren't that critical to the few bugreports which
> > > we get from non-subscribers, so I don't consider them vital for our
> > > work.
> >
> > I would never subscribe to a mailing list just to submit a bug
> > report, it's just too much work to help somebody out.  I have many
> > bug reports from people not subscribed, I know, because it's annoying
> > when they say "Please email me, I'm not subscribed.".  :)
> its unfortunate that the courts ruled that ISP can not sue spamers out
> side of there state (as most are out side of Virgina) most US ISP can
> not bring them to trial. AOL is trying to SUE them in Florida so well
> see. No matter how much I hate AOL at least they are standing up.
> if it is not posted one way to stop spam from the inter net is to put
> the email address in <> ie <iccaros at comcast.net> and tell the user to
> cut and past the address in to there email client. also explain that
> this stops spam bots as they have no link to go to.
>
> by the way that is my email so no spam please ....
>
> and as soon as you list on the site that you do not accept spam then it
> becomes a US federal law to send spam to the site (what ever good that
> does)
> just my 2 cents.

sorry its was late to block span engines and bots this example works. I
forgot that most email programs were adapted for the  outer <>.
<please replace AT with @ and help us stop spam.> iccaros<AT>comcastnet

this is a easy way to stop the spam we have been getting and still let
outsiders post as they just need to read to know how to send a message.