LFS 5.0 linux header problem

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Jan 12 04:38:13 PST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 Dogggeti at aol.com wrote:

> the first step of installing linux headers worked (make mrproper) but on the next command (make include/linux/version.h) i get this error:
> lfs at linux:/mnt/lfs/sources/linux-2.4.22> make include/linux/version.h
> /bin/sh: line 1: .ver: Permission denied
> make: *** [include/linux/version.h] Error 1

 Looking at the top level Makefile, the build commands for
include/linux/version.h write things into a file called .ver before
moving it to include/linux/version.h.  You are running as user lfs, but
you don't have permission to write in the kernel directory : perhaps you
untarred the kernel as root ?  Remove it, and untar it as user lfs.

> As newbie I also wonder why there is no ./ in front of include/linux/version.h

 That bit's easy - you don't give `make' filenames, you give it targets
(which are in the Makefile) telling it what to build.  The kernel
Makefile is moderately complex (unlike say, glibc which is really
complex) and in this case the target _is_ a path and filename.  The './'
is normally only necessary to _execute_ a file not in your PATH.

Ken
--
This is a job for Riviera Kid!