boot and now chroot problem

Kevin Alm kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net
Sun Jan 11 20:49:55 PST 2004

> thanks I tried to add hd(1,1) and (hd1,1) buy both did not work .. at
> this point I thinnk I screwed up my soft links by copying the files off
> the drive reformatting than recopying them. I should of tar.gz or bz
> whichever and then they should of kept there links.. when I mount the
> drive and then chroot to it I get /bin/bash file or directory does not
> exist.
> Im sorry if I sound short , your segestion did lead to at least 3 new
> things I did not try before. I'm just a little mad after spending 2
> strait days compiling and then have it all distroyed by a little
> mistake. I was doing so well no compiling errors just too good to be true.
> thanks again for the help
> Steve Huskey
>
> --
The tar command (with proper options, see man tar) works well for that. I
did something similar to your mistake part way into pass 2. I was clearing
out unneeded sources that were cluttering up the build directory and issued
rm -rf * as root. Unfortunately, instead of being in my /build I was
actually in / at the time. Ouch! Lukily, I had made a big tarball of the
whole build at the end of pass one so I didn't have to start from scratch.
At the end of blfs I also moved the entire install via a tar.gz to a
different partition so I can attest to the fact that it works.

Regards, Kevin Alm

PS, unless you are short on drive space I would use gz compression instead
of bz2. bz2 is a lot slowerer although it does compress smaller.